New Maps on the Source Server

All Dream-Evil related news will be posted here.
Doggie52
Site Admin
Steam Username: tstridsberg

Re: New Maps on the Source Server

Post by Doggie52 »

I've read through every one of the replies to this thread, and I see a valid point being made in every one of all of your opinions. This, of course, makes it very hard for me to come up with a solution to the problem. There are a number of problems, as I see it:

Problems with resetting the ranks:
  • Regulars, even those that aren't on the forums, will one day have lost all of their scores and many of them will surely lack the motivation needed to stay on the server (this is particularly true for the Source server, where the breakfloor-styled maps aren't as popular as they were back in the days)
Problems with NOT resetting the ranks:
  • Because the ranking system works the way it does, the gap between the lower and the higher ranked players will widen, all by itself.
Let me do some more thinking about this. I can definitely see a Hall of fame-section coupled with regular resets as being one solution. This would mean a renewed interest and "competition" for the higher ranks after every reset (since your name appears in the Hall of fame-list); if these happen a few times a year we can make sure to satisfy both newcomers and hardened veterans.

After all, both breakfloor and rats2k4 take some experience to be good at -- so the hardened veterans will still have some advantage at getting the higher ranks.

How does this sound?
NickCPC wrote:Frankly I don't think it matters whether it is reset or not, it's more about when it fits in with Doggie's plans.
That made me laugh, you really highlight the dictator in me there ;) .
« ASUS P7P55D-E LX » « Intel i5 760 4-core @ 2.8GHz » « OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB » « ASUS nVidia GTX260 » « OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CL7 » « CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus » « Logitech G5 Laser » « 2x PHILIPS 19" @ 1440x900 »
NickCPC
Server Administrator
Steam Username: NickCPC

Re: New Maps on the Source Server

Post by NickCPC »

Haha, you know what I meant :P
Gaming Rig :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, EVGA GTX1070, 16GB Corsair DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, 10 Pro x64 | Work Rig :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD Firepro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64