Name copy

Any discussion concerning Dream-Evil and its servers will be held here.
Whiskey
Server Administrator
Steam Username: Logicsbrother

Name copy

Post by Whiskey »

Hey, Many ppl do name copy. It's very annoying actually!

For example(1 joined the rats2k4 server with my name and cheated, and i got banned from it a while ago.) And ppl use many diffrent names there every day, not every one cheats but some does. Many says bad things to get them introuble, cause of that some times when i played there for 2 weeks ago. many started to call me stuff, and then it camed up. i hadnt been there but an name copyer had.

HOW DO WE DEAL WITH THE NAME COPYERS?
Image ImageImage
Flubbel
Server Administrator
Steam Username: kleinetapferetoastbrot

Re: Name copy

Post by Flubbel »

Also called fake nicking.. =D
I know exactly what your talking about -_- But how to deal with that, good question ^^
I just change their names or kick them if they wont accept that they cant use someones name as their own. Its complicated, because I think noone can say that he "owns" the patent for the name..
But its mean to use someones name, because I think its intellectual property, just without law -_-

So Ill keep changing names, kicking people and also ban for hour/s .. =)
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain =)

People who inspire me: | Maggie Simpson - for being unique ( =D ) | Homer Simpson - for having so much fun in life | Scrat (Squirrel from Ice Age) - for his endurance
fruitbowl 1
Server Administrator
Steam Username: joniz_93

Post by fruitbowl 1 »

As flubbel just said, changing the players nick is the only solution actually.
Asus M4A89GTD Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz | ASUS EAH5770 + Sapphire Vapor-X HD5770 in CF | Corsair XMS3 Venegeance 2x4GB CL9 | Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB |OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W | Fractal Design Define R4
N3bulouz
Server Administrator
Steam Username: beehpz

Post by N3bulouz »

I also had this problem a few times on breakfloor, only the rename player function wasn't working, it switches right back to normal... Doggie can you explain this?
henk
Server Administrator
Steam Username: headhunterzXL

Post by henk »

yeah strangely on css it doesn't work,
i knew the old times when i wasn't an admin yet and
evilblacksonic was changing my name to **** and i couldn't change
it, but why is that deleted right now? (and it was a prank from evils side:))
StatiC
Server Administrator

Post by StatiC »

I think it would be hard to sort out the fakes, its not like we can keep track of every player that joins the server, i could always check the players on friendslist if someone joins with their nick but i have no idea how sort out the other fakes,
Doggie52
Site Admin
Steam Username: tstridsberg

Post by Doggie52 »

In CS:S names cannot be changed simply because Steam has decided to use people's Steam Friends nickname as the player name.
If the name is somehow changed, it is reverted back to the players' Friends-nickname.

Fakenicking is not punishable unless the player who fakenicks behaves in a bad way, in which case he/she should be treated just like any other badly behaving player (warning, slay, kick, ban).
« ASUS P7P55D-E LX » « Intel i5 760 4-core @ 2.8GHz » « OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB » « ASUS nVidia GTX260 » « OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CL7 » « CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus » « Logitech G5 Laser » « 2x PHILIPS 19" @ 1440x900 »
N3bulouz
Server Administrator
Steam Username: beehpz

Post by N3bulouz »

Ok, thanks for clearing things up!