DDOS-Attack

Any discussion concerning Dream-Evil and its servers will be held here.
Aristillus
Steam Username: espendahl1992

DDOS-Attack

Post by Aristillus »

Just want to inform that someone is regulary ddos'ing the breakfloor server. I've been on the server 3 times when it has happend, and i've noticed a player with a clan tag(can't remember what it said, so sorry) and the player is named 12. I tried to get his Steam'ID, but when i typed status in my console, nothing came up.

Just wanted to inform you that someone is literally **** up the server, and the game for many players. So keep an eye out! If i see the clantag or someone named 12, or a similar name on the server when it happens again, i will get the attackers steam'ID!

PS: Ddos'ing is an attack that makes the server crash, and it looks like a huge lagg-spike. So try to get the names to the players and their steam'ids, if it happens again and you're playing.
seke3
Steam Username: seke3

Re: DDOS-Attack

Post by seke3 »

i know! this happend to me 5 times yesterday! O.O
but ill keep an eye open and if i get any steam id, ill post it in this topic.
snap it or slap it!

N3bulouz
Server Administrator
Steam Username: beehpz

Post by N3bulouz »

Are you sure this is a DDOS attack? :O
Let's get that son of a bitch!
seke3

Post by seke3 »

whats a ddos attack anywayz?
snap it or slap it!

Aristillus
Steam Username: espendahl1992

Post by Aristillus »

Yeah, im pretty sure it is DDOS!Wildfire faced the exact same problem a while back, when someone crashed the Wildfire servers repeatedly. We found the player responsible for the attacks, by comparing the Steam'IDs, and by comparing the steam'IDs, we found out which one that played on the server every time it happend. But this took time! As Wildfire's servers, the DE server also got many regular players, so sorting out the regulars and the attacker will take time.

DDOS: Short for Distributed Denial of Service, it is an attack where multiple compromised systems (which are usually infected with a Trojan) are used to target a single system causing a Denial of Service (DoS) attack. Victims of a DDoS attack consist of both the end targeted system and all systems maliciously used and controlled by the hacker in the distributed attack. (i used a thing called google)
Doggie52
Site Admin
Steam Username: tstridsberg

Post by Doggie52 »

As it is only one person performing this, it is a DOS attack and not a DDOS :) .

I have the SteamID's of two people reported having done this - I have since then installed numerous anti-DOS patches and fixes to the server which should mitigate this.
If you report having seen another DOS attack, please post here. If not, let's leave this thread for now!
« ASUS P7P55D-E LX » « Intel i5 760 4-core @ 2.8GHz » « OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB » « ASUS nVidia GTX260 » « OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CL7 » « CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus » « Logitech G5 Laser » « 2x PHILIPS 19" @ 1440x900 »
henk
Server Administrator
Steam Username: headhunterzXL

Post by henk »

Last night I was playing with neb and the pings were going through the rooftop, everybody had at least 100 and some had 300.
I don't know if this was the effect of the Dos attack, because the server didn't shut down it just lagged a lot then a few minutes of stabilization and then another wave of lags which took at least 4/5 rounds each.
N3bulouz
Server Administrator

Post by N3bulouz »

About that, I was uploading a YouTube-video at the moment, and my ping got >100 . When I was done, all pings were just normal. A bit odd?
GloriousNoR
Server Administrator
Steam Username: triple_cp

Post by GloriousNoR »

Nah, it happens when your bandwith is used a bit, your pc needs more time to respond to packets.
Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.
N3bulouz
Server Administrator

Post by N3bulouz »

I know, but i find it strange that when I was uploading a video everyone started lagging.
seke3

Post by seke3 »

its usual in sweden ^^
snap it or slap it!

Doggie52
Site Admin
Steam Username: tstridsberg

Post by Doggie52 »

N3bulouz wrote:I know, but i find it strange that when I was uploading a video everyone started lagging.
Most likely a coincidence, I would presume.

I am locking this thread now. If anyone should experience what they believe to be a DOS-attack, please do PM me.
« ASUS P7P55D-E LX » « Intel i5 760 4-core @ 2.8GHz » « OCZ Agility II SSD 60GB » « ASUS nVidia GTX260 » « OCZ Reaper 2x2GB CL7 » « CoolerMaster HAF 912 Plus » « Logitech G5 Laser » « 2x PHILIPS 19" @ 1440x900 »