Current status of DE

All off-topic discussions (not concerning Dream-Evil) are to be held here.
ewil apple
Server Administrator
Steam Username: ewil apple

Current status of DE

Post by ewil apple »

So guys, what's the current status? Anybody playing on Dream Evil servers or is this place dead yet?

Any ideas how to revive the server and restore it to it's glory as it was way back in 2009 when I joined (I have no further recollection, maybe some of you do)?

From the looks of it:

1. nobody knows DE anymore
2. nobody plays on DE anymore
3. nobody posts anything on DE forums anymore
4. nobody will never likely read this post I am writing right now
ewil apple
Server Administrator

Re: Current status of DE

Post by ewil apple »

And a brief stats information about our newest signup:
Last visited:Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:02 pm
Ciorpz

Post by Ciorpz »

It could need some advertisement and some work with the servers etc.. make the place interesting so that people would enjoy staying here.
fruitbowl 2
Server Administrator
Steam Username: benji_97

Post by fruitbowl 2 »

One reason why the servers are dead is that counter-strike is not that popular as it one time were. I don't know very much about the CSS server but in 1.6, there is not many players at all at public servers these days. And in that point we can't do anything, but we CAN do as Ciorpz say and hope that the few players that are playing founds D-E and stays there.
ewil apple
Server Administrator

Post by ewil apple »

Let's just all upgrade our pc-s to the point of new millenium and forget about 1.6

Source is an excellent game, but it's 10 years old soon. But frankly, I do not see moving to CS:GO also being the help here. Any more great ideas?
Flubbel
Server Administrator
Steam Username: kleinetapferetoastbrot

Post by Flubbel »

The current Status? – – – In Process!

No, at least for the Counter Strike 1.6 Server I can say that I've noticed improvements concerning the popularity. It seems like if we finally have made a good change. New players have joined, more players have joined – the peak this week were 9 playing players and that's a lot after the past months. I guess the worst days of rats1.6 are past. (for numbered days of course)

• 1. This is a problem made by us, the members. How interesting and attractive is a Community that misses active members? (If I can say it like this in English) I mean, look at it: we've nearly got 280 members, how many of them have you ever seen being active? I'm not quiet sure, but I think I know around 30? Probably little more, probably little less.
    2. Yeah, but this is a problem which is about to be solved – for 1.6 . I can't speak for Source.
    3. Obvious an intern problem. How do we solve it? How do we change an inactive community to an active community? I will answer that later, underneath this enumeration.
    4. I thought the same about my big topic about the 1.6 server. I anyway have count 9 different members answering. It's of course only a few - for 280 members, but somehow I was positively wondering about it.
Well, the reason for this all is simple: Its just like in economy. What is it that makes a company rise? That makes a company famous, rich and powerful? That makes a company attractive and interesting?
It is something new, something special. A company, which produces toilet paper, will not become powerful as long as it is not the only producer. It's the same about a Community, about a Server. Something special is needed, something that makes the server attractive, something that makes the Community attractive.

Ciorpz is of course right. We need advertisement, the only question is how? I will come back to this theme at the end of my post.

Yes, fruitbowl2, Counter Strike is not as popular as it was in 2007,2008,.. , but Counter Strike is still popular at Steam. Counter Strike 1.6 is Rank 3 in top games, Counter Strike Source is Rank 4. Of course it is a joke compared to Dota 2 (3 times as much players as 1.6, 5 times as much players as Source), but anyway – Counter Strike is still alive.
I see the problem at rats. These maps become unpopular. New, improved and mods like Zombie, Wc3, DM, Superhero, GunGame are popular. Either you play one of those mods or you play at a real server – funserver like regular rats are losing popularity.

Another reason are the type of players playing at rats. 95% are not that good, simply said. So I blame myself that the server is empty from time to time. I don't know what happened, but everybody leaves after losing twice. What kind of players do we have at the server? Did they never learn that losing is part of improvement?

CS: GO
Neither have we seen nor will we see a breakthrough of popularity of CS: GO in coming month(s). I do not see a reason for leaving 1.6 or Source for GO. Not yet! CS: GO is Rank 11 at Steam – of course without those game consoles. Even though it could be possible, that we have one of the first rats server there. I don't know..

Advertisement
  • 1. Events: We could start by having open fightnights for everyone. No password, no questioning. Its like 'if the server got 10 players playing, it won't be a problem to find 8 more to join' – zack, 8 potentially new players who know about the server.
    2. Events the second: We could have some fun fightnights with something special? I've been thinking a lot about asking for a special fightnight with gungame mod or something like this.
    3. IP/Address: Let's spread our Servers IP and our Community’s address everywhere. Servers, Websites, Friends. Write it in your profile, text your friends, use it as your profile picture, write it on your girlfriends jeans, so everyone who looks at her a.. will know about the Community. I do not care how you do it, just do it! It will work! : )
    4. Posters: I've seen posters making advertising for a community at the server, implemented in maps. I don't know how complicated it is, but it is one way to make the community more known.
    5. Friends: Add new friends, tell them about the server and such creepy things. : D
The situation won't change by itself – we have to change the situation. You, ewil apple, and me, the members, the Community.

I guess this topic is worth being posted in “Discussion” forum, not only in “Off-Topip Discussion”.

Regards, Flubbel

ps: As always, I've written a lot. Probably too much.. (A)
Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain =)

People who inspire me: | Maggie Simpson - for being unique ( =D ) | Homer Simpson - for having so much fun in life | Scrat (Squirrel from Ice Age) - for his endurance
ewil apple
Server Administrator

Post by ewil apple »

All that has just been told is true. +1
NickCPC
Server Administrator
Steam Username: NickCPC

Post by NickCPC »

I think as much of it is that us older people who used to play CSS are now much busier these days - when I have gone on to CSS I've noticed there's hardly any younger people any more, they are all playing BF3 or CoD. It's like the housing market - new buyers (or in our case, users) are the life and blood of the market (or community) - without them you won't experience growth.

I personally get home on weekdays between 8 and 9PM these days, and I'm in bed by 10PM as I have to get up before 6 for my job, so I only have limited time to game on Friday nights and sometimes the weekend if I'm not seeing my girlfriend.

Having a CS:GO presence is the logical thing to achieve IMO, because that is where new people are going and that game is increasing in popularity, so we have an opportunity to entice people to our community in there. If we become popular again in GO, we can introduce new members to D-E's CSS and CS1.6 servers too. Basically we have to move with the times, but I'm sure Doggie's time and resources are limited these days as he is working hard at his new university. Maybe he can work some magic over Christmas if he doesn't have to revise for any exams, but until then keep checking the servers and jumping on, will make it seem busier (even if you idle in spec for a bit) and someone might then join too. No one wants to join a completely empty server.
Gaming Rig :: Intel Core i7 5820K, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5, EVGA GTX1070, 16GB Corsair DDR4, Corsair H100, BlackGold BGT3620 DVB-T2, Dell U2410, Fractal Arc Midi, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB, WD Red 4TB, Creative SoundBlaster Z, Logitech X-230, Seasonic X-650, 10 Pro x64 | Work Rig :: Dell Precision M6800, Intel Core i7 4800MQ 2.7GHz, 16GB RAM, Samsung 850 Pro 128GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, AMD Firepro M6100, 17" 1920x1080, 10 Pro x64
Wrox
Server Administrator

Post by Wrox »

Breakfloor isn't as popular as it used to be. It's rather considered a dead gamemode now.

Change. That's how artists such as Madonna has survived through the years - with different styles.
ewil apple
Server Administrator

Post by ewil apple »

Wrox wrote:Breakfloor isn't as popular as it used to be. It's rather considered a dead gamemode now.

Change. That's how artists such as Madonna has survived through the years - with different styles.

(Y)
henk
Server Administrator
Steam Username: headhunterzXL

Post by henk »

This is a good initiative ewil, instead of saying I'm going to leave or complain over it your actually starting a brain storm:)

Maybe it is a good idea for the source server to add some maps like glass war or at least special maps which are different from
The normal mainstream cs assault or surf etc.
Glass is a lot like breakfloor, and maybe a map like breaktower? Which is also similar, but it would create a sort of variation
between the maps.

Looking at the people status, it is very true what you guys are saying. Especially the example nick said. If you look at the servers nowadays
It is mainly occupied but member who always where there, or who are active member of the community.

Basically we need to attract new players, and that is accomplishable by using
Advertisement (As we have a few younger players, perhaps they can recommend us to their other game community's?),
Making the server look fun,
more events,

But I do need to add that like doggie and nick I am also very busy with balancing work, school, etc... But I'll try as that is everything
anyone can do.
Jackless
Steam Username: 4meee2

Post by Jackless »

well, maybe the community would work well, if we 1. start the servers again? and 2. if we do more advertisment on the servers.
* This is gonna be Legen- wait for it -DARY!! LEGENDARY! *
Always be yourself, unless you can be Barney Stinson, then always be Barney!
henk
Server Administrator
Steam Username: headhunterzXL

Post by henk »

Perhaps you can help with that jackless? When your on a different community or server or anything just make a little advertisement for DE:)
re1ease
Server Administrator
Steam Username: Re1eas3

Post by re1ease »

I believe it would bring players if we is making some kind of event on the server.
If there is 8-10 players online on the server it will bring more people on it.

That's just my opinion.
Ingame name: iEaasC
Steam name: Re1eas3
Pre-names: Fishy, Holy X
ewil apple
Server Administrator

Post by ewil apple »

I think this forum and website should get a makeover also. It's been like this for 4 years and this is not Facebook. I mean that it's outdated and seems way too mature. Like the kind of videos you do not watch on certain websites.
But to be on same level with everyone else here, we need a total makeover. Not sure which maps are on the server now, can anyone help me out with it?